Monday, May 12, 2008

thesis idea?

Change has always been a huge part of my life. Growing up in a military family, change was inevitable. Every three years or so my life was forced to change. New town, new house, new room, new school, new church, new friends… This change that I used to hate is now something I look forward to. Regardless of an individual’s childhood, change is a part of everyone’s life. People change. Things change. Locations change. Beliefs change.

When I think about what I want to focus on for my honors thesis project, I know that I want my concepts and motivations to be personal. I want to work with ideas that are prevalent in my own life. The idea of change and impermanence is something I can relate to on numerous levels.

While I still haven’t decided what exactly I plan on making, (i.e. jewelry, functional objects, sculpture, etc.) I know that I want to focus on a few specific forms of change. Change in environment or location is something I had experience with growing up, and plan on continuing in my future. Change in the form of growth is another idea that can be experienced through the ever changing and evolving human life. Change, in this sense, can be social, personal, or in response to current situations. Another specific form of change that has been an ongoing part of my life is change in faith. I was brought up in a strong Christian home, the church and religion being a huge part of my everyday life. While I feel my faith has been the only real constant in my life, my own interpretation of what I choose to believe has changed to fit my changing life and mind. My faith growing up was simply an imitation of my parents. My faith now has become a personal, many times hidden, part of my character.

While I know I want to focus in on the existence of change and its effects on various aspects of life, I also want to keep this idea of faith as a constant an underlying theme within each piece. Faith, even when ignored, provides for a sense of calm and reassurance amidst the always-shifting nature of life.

2 comments:

Rebecca Dortzbach said...

I think this is very interesting. I look forward to seeing what comes out of this. very well said

Liz Steiner said...

Maybe read the Anne Lamott books on faith. They might be helpful, but if not, they're still a delightful read.