Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What is Product Design Reading Response


What is Product Design?
-Laura Slack
pg. 6-61

What a beautiful book! Such a great resource for what we are pursuing in design and production this semester. The “Flo Creator Model” on page 31 is so exactly what we’re doing, and is such a great model to follow. I kept thinking of the examples in the IDEO book and how their innovations followed this mode of production so precisely.
“Now that we have a plethora of product choices, how can designers improve an existing product or offer something new? What is a new product?”
-page6
This reminded me of our fieldtrip to bluehouse. We were shoved into this place, shown a bunch of great, innovative designs and products and then told to make something completely new and great ourselves. It’s overwhelming to think we could come up with something entirely new and great, let alone to think how these designers came up with these insanely cool products.
“Ambiguity and challenging the traditional norms of form and function are the mainstays for today.”
-page20
I think that is what stood out to me the most in bluehouse and in the designs found in this book. Everything was so beautiful, but also easily questioned. What is that? What does it do? Ultimately every question is answered with a statement: I want one.
I think my favorite part of this reading was the Grenade Oil Lamps by Piet Houtenbos. I remembered them from last year. I want one so bad. The whole section is about design as a statement. Whether it is political, social, or cultural, an idea is expressed through a product. These oil lamps, however, were simply the use of a beautiful form without any reinterpreted meaning, even though they have been interpreted in that way. I love that.

No comments: