Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Market Research


So after coming up with designs for the objects I am going to create for my product line, I asked the terrifying question, "Are there similar products on the market and how does mine differ?"


After several google image searches, I am, for the most part, pleased.

At this point I have yet to find any fire hydrant coasters and there were absolutely no fire hydrant wine stoppers.

When I searched for hydrant salt and pepper shakers, I found a "product" on an industrial designer's website. Everything on this site is rendered. And for the most part, rendered well. His concept behind choosing the hydrant form has something to do with viewing a hydrant as a homeless, often disregarded portion of the street. He includes the words "I have a home!" on the back of the shakers, since now they live in the kitchen. Not exactly what I'm going for, but interesting.


Angry side note...
It was almost disturbing how many dog and fire hydrant salt and pepper shakers there are out there. So bad. And just gross. Who in their right mind would buy these things?


All in all, I am excited about my hydrant product line. I think I am designing objects that customers will want. I think my customer might not even know yet that they are attracted to the hydrant form. I am hopefully creating a product that is something new and exciting that people will want.

No comments: