Stanley Lechtzin and Daniella Kerner excerpt from “Studio” by Phillip Carrizzi
This article began with a statement that referred to the creation of art that builds on what has come before. Immediately this reminds me of our recent critique in our special topics class. We had a discussion on appropriation and how this is something we should steer clear of in our work. Since our pieces were in response to ancient culture’s impulses of body adornment, it could have been easy to simply appropriate the imagery we find into a tangible form. Instead of appropriation, we should see work that has come before as creative sparks that ignites an innovative journey of design.
I feel like this article accurately described how work of the past, work that already exists, can become inspiration for creativity. I love the use of the word “build.” To build: to be innovative, to explore, to create based on a personal response to something that already exists. It is our job as artists to think creatively and continually notice places for improvement, see things in a new light, or discover something that has yet to be thought of. I love how these two artists and educators explained that this process starts with a single image or idea, an essential spark, which can end up creating a winding path of concepts and projects. This reminded me of the enameling class I took last semester. Jan had us go out into the world and take pictures. We then had to choose one of these to base an entire semester of work upon. I chose a fire hydrant and must admit I don’t think I’m done exploring this image, idea, form, whatever it may be in my head. The image of a fire hydrant is common and recognizable. I’d like to think that it has the potential to be “built” upon.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment