Wednesday, March 26, 2008

article response.

“Influence of the Digital Toward a New Medium”
By Douglas Bucci and Matthew Hollern


This was the second article written by Bucci and Hollern. It, like the first, included many examples of various artists incorporating digital technology into their work. Their argument remains that this new medium can positively contribute to contemporary art. Stanley Lechtzin discussed how meaningful form can be created for digital space “free from constraints of material world.” Digital modeling can be used as a “workspace,” a place to sketch, search, and explore new designs and ideas. I know I’m just beginning in my exploration of computer 3D modeling, but I think it really is a great tool to use in the design process. They spoke about many innovative artists in this article.

Rebecca Strzelec – I looked at her work when I was making my neckpieces. She uses bandage adhesive devices to mount jewelry directly on the body. I’m having trouble finding out exactly what she buys. I am unhappy with my temporary solution of adhering my neckpieces to the neck, so I would love to find out exactly where to order/find these bandages. I love her concepts of pieces of adornment that are in accord with the body.

Richard Nelipovich – He actually allows the computer to control the outcome of some of his work. Simply by mutating an original code in the computer, it evolves his designs into new forms. In contrast to this highly modern use of technology, Nelipovich uses a lot of the traditional lost wax casting process in the creation of his work.

Rod McCormick – He creates complex CAD 2D patterns and then transforms them into his 3D vessels. He basically uses digital technology to elaborate on basic design principles of sheet metal fabrication. He simply uses the computer as an aid to see his vision of form.

Joe Wood – He also sees digital as a tool and medium. He created the “lumpy” red bracelet I remembered from some images Doug had shown us in class. In that piece he actually enameled on a form that he created in a CAD program.

So what does it mean to embrace a new technology? I think this article accurately conveys that there is no one answer to that. Artists have been able to embrace digital technology in a number of ways. While it can be used as an innovative new medium, it is also a great tool that can become a part of the creative process. This creative process can be different for each individual artist; the way in which this medium is used also varies.

No comments: