Tuesday, February 12, 2008

corruption. monopoly. unsupported.


I found this web magazine call the New York Inquirer in my search for blood diamond info.

"The New York Inquirer, a web magazine about international news and globalization, reports stories with the assumption that national borders today play as much a role in facilitating the movement of money, goods, ideas and people as they do in locking them down or keeping them out."


Anyway they had a link with several articles on diamonds. Seemed like their opinions on the "dirty diamond industry" were fairly pessimistic. One thing I hadn't heard yet that they commented on was that the Kimberly Process does not apply to countries that are not "at war." While I want to think positively about this process as a way of combating conflict diamonds, I'm still skeptical.


I'm leaning toward the monopoly of diamonds as a basis for my project. I think I always had it in my mind that diamonds were so rare and that is why they were such a huge deal and so expensive in price. The fact that they are just monopolized is such a surprise to me. I'm not sure exactly how I can tie this into what I'm doing, but I'm still working. Maybe I'll find something.

No comments: